Tuesday, February 20, 2024

February 20, 2024 - No comments

Life at RAF Edzell (Scotland) in mid 1970's

 Was stationed at NSGA Edzell (an old RAF base) from 1974-77 (CTM2 in the Teletype shop inside the Comm Center). got a local out and spent a year camping around Europe on my BMW R90/6 motorcycle. My ham radio callsign was GM5BKC,  I spent a lot of early mornings on 40m CW before a daywatch when we were on the 2/2/96 schedule.  

  Spent 3 months, the summer of 1975, assigned to JOOD (Junior Officer Of the Day) duty for the Maint Division, each Division in the SecGru building had to supply a Petty Office to Base Security for a few months.  The JOOD watch was manning the Main Gate guard shack.  I got to know all the local police when they stopped by the Main Gate for coffee in the early morning hours. They all learned to recognize my BMW on the road, there weren't many big motorcycles in that part of Scotland then! Friday and Saturday nights were fun when all the local women came to the base to go to the EM club.  Pubs closed at 10pm but the Enlisted Men's Club on Base stayed open until 2AM.

RAF Edzell Enlisted barracks, 1974

Bruce Wheeler and I went riding together a lot. Here are our bikes on a little ferry in western Scotland, making our way to Skye (his bike is the brown one).
 

 
   One time in Scotland  Bruce and I were out riding someplace on the usual narrow roads, and we were passing cars poking along whenever the view ahead allowed us to zip around one car at a time, as idiots on motorcycles always do.  I zoomed around a car on a curve, crap here comes someone going the other way, I slammed on the brakes and stuffed my bike between two cars. Bruce was following me and when HE slammed on HIS brakes and followed me between the cars, the car behind us couldn't stop and hit Bruce's rear wheel. 
  I'm focused on the car bumper a few feet ahead of me and in my peripheral vision I see Bruce going past me doing a big cartwheel, flying with his hands and feet alternately touching the road !! No motorcycle, just BRUCE !! The bike got knocked right out from under him. The people in the car were terrorized and apologized up and down for hitting him, when it really was MY fault for stopping so fast :-(

0 comments:

Post a Comment